HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED?
- Have you ever wondered why students who struggle with reading are able to read a word in one line, but when the same word appears a few lines later act like they have never seen that word before?
- Have you ever wondered why some readers can get bigger, more phonetically complex words, but miss simple sight words like is or the?
- Have you ever wondered what is going on with students who have the “deer in headlights” look when you give them multi-step directions?
- Have you ever wondered what is going on when your students start to sound out a word then take their eyes off the page and just start guessing?
- Have you ever wondered why some students can be good readers but poor spellers?
- Have you ever wondered why your bright students seem to struggle so much with reading?
Educators, ELL Teachers, Specialists, and Administrators:
Boost Reading Confidence: Research & Strategy Session
ASU SkySong, 1475 N Scottsdale Rd, Suite 200
Room 249 Imagination
Cost: Free for educators
Whether you are a teacher looking for K-3 reading strategies, a Reading Specialist working with students from grades 2-10, or an administrator interested in learning about reading instruction and intervention approaches for grades 4-12, this workshop brings together cutting-edge research, new approaches and advances in technology to help students succeed at any level.
Who should attend?
- K-3 teachers looking for reading supplemental materials
- ELL and Reading Interventionists battling with different strategies and online programs
- Administrators attempting to streamline the approach
What will you learn?
The objectives of this session are to teach research-based reading strategies and to practice these techniques with hands-on classroom modeling. This workshop will introduce a systematic approach to reading instruction that is both easy to learn and easy to teach.
For Grades K-12
- Deconstruct grade-level text for the most challenging student and build fluency, vocabulary and comprehension skills
- Word Attack Strategies: Provide a solid reading foundation for your students and unlock the code for English for struggling readers and English Language Learners by proving whether vowels make the short or long sound.
- Strategies to improve state test scores: Learn intervention strategies for students with Dyslexia and other learning disabilities, how to integrate Phonics into the everyday classroom, and come away with decoding skills used to systematically analyze and pronounce unknown words of any length.
- Know how and when to incorporate spelling, listening and language concepts while developing critical phonics and decoding skills.
- Real classroom examples provided of the Seven Standards for Effective ELL Pedagogy developed by the Center for Research on Education, Diversity and Excellence (CREDE).
Provide a solid reading foundation for your students, access supplemental materials and learn new strategies to
give hope to struggling readers in your classroom!